Shortly after I was married I received my first set of embroidered tea towels from my Grandma. I love them. Unfortunately because I was too scared to actually use them I kept them stored and they yellowed a bit from whatever conditions they were stored in. I was so bummed. This year, my Grandma surprised me with a whole new set! Wahoo!
She makes the tea towel themselves too and I'm a little amazed at her perfect hemming. So tiny and so perfect. I don't actually know if she hand or machine embroidered the images but either way they are as well, perfect.
My new tea towels got me all excited so when the urge to create something hit the other night I figured I'd try to make some more tea towels to display next to my embroidered ones. One of my current goals is to start using my vintage sheets (and not just stockpiling them for the fun of it!) and so I started selecting!
I used one of Grandma's tea towels as a template for size and added extra on the edges for the hem.
Next I started piecing little "bits and bobs" (as the English one would call them) onto the base of the tea towel.
It takes me FOREVER to press a seam. I am determined to learn ways to be quicker. Anyways, I think it ended up a cute little tea towel. I have 3 more cut... I just need the time to finish them. Another thing I'm learning is that it's a good idea for me to prep projects and store them so that I can work on things in short spurts as I find the time.
I'm not really sure how effective bedsheets will be as a tea towel. Pretty sure the polyester in it won't make it super absorbent but I don't know that I want to use used bedsheets to dry my dishes anyways. For know I think their purpose is just to look pretty hanging on my stove and add a bit more colour and vintageness to my kitchen.
Thanks Mama for the tea towels!