It Doesn't Have to Be Forever


Over the years I've found that I create little mottos to be a constant reminder of some of the values and priorities I have. They become a brain pathway, a go to direction for my thoughts (Check out Dr. Caroline Leaf for awesome resources on your brain.)

One of my daily go to mottos is 

SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING



Don't want to work out? Just go for 10 minutes - something is better than nothing (I'll probably end up doing the full 30 anyways). 

Finding it overwhelming to overhaul your families nutrition? Something is better than nothing - wheat free Wednesdays it is or lets add a plate of cut of organic veggies to the table once a day. Something is better than nothing. 

It really works for so many things and takes away any excuses that hold me back from being better. 

But that's not the motto I wanted to share today - my new motto I find myself saying is 

NOTHING IS FOREVER

Now let's get the big clarification out of the way - there ARE lots of things that are forever. So maybe I need to tweak it but it just flows like this. There are so many wonderful forever things like God and my family and even though our life here on earth isn't forever, that's not what I'm talking about in this motto. 

I'm talking about the little things. I'm talking about not being paralyzed in making decisions because I think that decision has to work forever. I'm talking about making a conscious choice to live in the moment and embrace the season with a full understanding that this season will change.

Have you ever been roadblocked by the "it has to work for a really long time" mindset? Even in minor house renovations I can get stuck. I hate this sink but eventually we're going to knock out that wall, expand the counter and add a new window so I can't redo the vanity until all those things are done. But do I? 

Or can I say, nothing is forever - that wall is not getting knocked down for at least a year so lets do a mini reno and actually love my bathroom for the year before the big reno. 

This summer I rearranged my yard and patio furniture several times. Nothing is forever, they're moveable and I'll do what works for the day or for the week and not lock myself into the full summer. 



HOMESCHOOLING

When I started homeschooling my kids I had a subconscious thought stream that insisted I find rhythms and structures that would define our homeschool for long periods of time. 

I'm here to tell you that most of those systems last me a few months. What has brought me IMMENSE freedom in home educating is learning to let go and embrace the season. Our homeschool days are a like a meandering path that goes up a mountain, through a valley, along the river and through the woods and onto the sea. 

What I mean by that is I believe the nature of educating children (especially homeschooling because you teach them year after year) is that they CHANGE. And as they change, their interests grow, they stretch and they struggle and your homeschooling will change too. 




In the hardest of seasons I'm encouraged that nothing lasts forever. This too will pass. In the best of seasons I soak it up, I am intentional to be present and make the most of it because nothing lasts forever, this too shall pass. 

Take a deep breath and allow yourself to let go. You don't have to find the curriculum that will carry you through to high school. You don't have to find that schedule that works for the next year. Try things. If they don't work for you and your family - let them go. Now some of you could very well feel panic rising at my words. You like to know the long game. You like to have things laid out and to systematically work through them. That's cool too. If things are working for you - yay! If they ever start not working, come back to this post ;)


Often I find with people who are talking to me about the idea of homeschooling that the "forever mindset" is a huge stumbling block. They want to give it a go, they think it's the best thing for their child in this season but forever scares them back. 

Homeschooling isn't forever. Logistically (at least where I live) it is not that hard to take your kids out or put your kids back into the system. I have multiple friends who have homeschooled for a year or two and then their kids went to public school. I wouldn't do it constantly as that could be really hard on a kid but if you're on the fence and would love to try homeschooling but you're not sure it will work for your family - go ahead. Try it. It doesn't have to be forever. 

Maybe that motto works better... IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE FOREVER. 

Paint that wall, colour your hair, try that curriculum, try a few months of unschooling... release yourself to embrace the season!



Comments

  1. I can say your blogs are coming really handy as almost everyone is facing these issues now.
    buy logo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I am really happy to see this blog.
    It is helpful for me.

    Law Essay Help UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an fabulous post. Keep working, great job!

    Law Coursework Writer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts