My Favourite Art Books


I have always seen myself as a creative person but have typically disqualified myself from anything that I thought "counted" as artistic. I decided that I was passable at photography, home decor and building things but I was not good at anything like drawing, painting or lettering. 

Recently I've been challenging those long held beliefs I've held and choosing to explore other mediums of creativity and I. AM. LOVING. IT. Various books that I've purchased and borrowed from the library have been a huge help to me and I want to share some of them here in case you're looking for a little inspiration for learning a new skill. 

The book that started this dive into art on paper was Hand Lettering 101 by Chalk Full of Love. It's so practical, has tons of practice pages and really got me started in hand lettering! I also used to do it when my kids were learning cursive so it was lettering for the whole family ;)




Right now it's crazy on sale on Amazon!

*The links provided are my amazon associate links. If you click them to purchase I get a kick back which is super appreciated and helps our family!




About a year later she released Hand Lettering 201 and it includes a more fonts, caps letters and more practice! I totally feel like it's worth having both books. 



I can't help but letter all the things now :) 




Once I got hooked on lettering I decided to trying drawing more and I started with Ali Koch's "How to Draw Modern Florals". You guys this is my most favourite book. It gives step by step and such a great range of florals. I LOVE it!







* I could only find a link for the paperback which is a great price! I obviously have the hardcover spiral bound. *

And good news... she's releasing another book any day now! I already have it on pre-order and you can too!







Another book I just recently found is "Art Starts with a Line" by Erin McMannus. I love that it covers a broad range of things to draw like architecture, animals, plants, lettering, banners, every day items, etc. I borrowed it from the library but it's on my to buy list.







Last but not least I also ventured into watercolour painting (something I was crazy intimidated to try) and wouldn't you know I loved that too? I had so much fun and even created a couple of digital products to sell. People purchasing something I've painted has literally been mind blowing!
If you're interested in these hand painted story prompt cards you can get them in my shop HERE.



A great book for the basics of watercolour is "Every Day Watercolor"


So that's my list of my most go to art books! I'd love to hear any suggestions you have! 

~ Monique

Comments

  1. Why did I know about these books. Thanks for sharing. Starting a business, check below:
    buy logo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I am really happy to see this blog.
    It is helpful for me.

    Law Essay Help UK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts