ROTA | DIY an Ancient Roman Game

We are in the thick of studying all things ancient Rome. Whenever we study history I really like to find a historical fiction book to jump off of. Seeing a culture in the setting of a story and through a characters eyes really makes a book come alive. 

I also then like to find activities and games that were a part of that culture that we can create and play. When we studied the Vikings we enjoyed Kubb (a fabulous lawn game that involves throwing "clubs" to knock down your opponents pillars and eventually the king). For Rome I discovered (on Pinterest of course) the game of Rota.


Rota means "wheel" in latin and as you can see the playing surface is in the shape of a roman wheel. The original name is not however known but this name was given to it after finding it carved along many roman roads and buildings. 
Based on the bit of research I've done I'm not sure anyone knows the precise original rules but most agree it is a game of 3 pieces per opponent and similar to tic tac toe where the objective is to make a line of 3 pieces in a row. (more on the rules at the end)

While we listened to our audiobook The Thieves of Ostia I had these pieces of muslin cloth cut and taped to my kids desks. 

I then had them trace a large mixing bowl onto the cloth with a pencil and use a ruler to make the four lines across the diameter - much like you'd slice a pie.

I mixed acrylic black paint with a bit of fabric medium (this is not necessary but I had it so I used it. I paint on fabric with regular paint all the time. The medium just keeps it a bit more pliable).  While we listened they painted over all their pencil lines. 

You need to create a circle at each intersection point on the wheel. This can either be done freehand or we took a bottle cap, painted it black and then stamped it onto the fabric. It typically needed a bit more paint to be filled in. 


The kids then had to scavenge rocks to use as their pieces. I liked the idea of rocks because I feel like that's what Roman Legionnaires would have used to play as they played around campfires and at their posts. Make sure you get 3 rocks of one colour and 3 rocks of another colour making 2 distinct teams.


How to Play:
* To start players take turns putting their three pieces onto any open spot on the board.
* After all three pieces are on the board a player must move one piece every turn.
* A piece may move along any straight or curved line into the next empty spot on the board.
* A piece may NOT jump another piece and may not move more than one place.
* The first person to get three pieces in a row wins. 

** I've read some differing rules and some state you can get three in a row anywhere (along the perimeter and through the centre) and some state you can only get three in a row by getting a line through the centre. We've been playing the first way but are going to try out just through the centre.


My kids are OBSESSED with this game! They take it everywhere and are constantly playing each other or my husband and I. It's a quick game (though some sites suggest that really good players can keep it going for almost forever). We are not that good yet! But it definitely involves some strategy and is more complex that straight up tic tac toe. 


I love that we made it on cloth as you can fold up your rocks into the game and tie it for easy travel (and to make sure you don't lose your pieces). Also... how cute would these be as gifts? Pretty sure we have some people on our list that are getting this game for Christmas!


What are some of your favourite games? Do you have any ancient favourites - I'd love recommendations!

~ Monique

Comments

  1. Appreciate your sharing this with us. Do check below;
    custom logo design company

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, fantastic job!


    Law essay help UK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts