Science Notebooking


I've heard the term "notebooking" thrown around and I'm not sure I'm using in the typical sense of the word but I do want to share about what I call Science Notebooking in our homeschool. Another descriptor might be "doodle notes". For us, notebooking is a compiling of information that we're learning using writing, illustrations, diagrams, flow charts, and other mixed media. Really it could be called a Science Journal as well I guess. 
We experimented throughout the year last year and this year I have more intentional plans of how to incorporate it and step it up a little bit. (I have an example at the end of the post of the direction I'd like to go this year.)

So, what's our science notebooking process?
We take whatever we're learning about at the time, even it if wasn't planned (which is A LOT of our science - we are rabbit trail hunters) and we compile the information that we're learning. Often I use it when I want them to get familiar with certain terms. We will draw and label and discuss the terms. We keep the writing to a minimum and focus on key points and use things like arrows and page organization to create a flow of information. I love that it challenges their minds in a different way rather than just copying notes. 

Below are illustrations things we find in our microbiome.


I love notebooking for pre and early writers as well because we do not put all of our emphasis on writing. My youngest was able to draw and illustrate (and loves to put time and energy into those drawings) and often I would jot down a few of the words for her or I would pick out the most important ones that I wanted her to write. 



I LOVE to educate holistically, again... not sure if that's an appropriate term but for me means that we don't break everything up into subjects... we just learn and create and everything will likely hit/cover several "subjects". I use subject terminology when speaking to others and writing but rarely use it with my own kids. Someone recently asked them what their favourite subject was and they had the blank stare going on. I rephrased it to "what do you enjoy learning about?" and they both rattled off a page long list lol. 
Below is an example of the short poems we created for the various rock processes. I loved that it was a new way of thinking through the process and using impactful words to convey meaning.  


You'll also notice that with my daughter more is more. She's always adding extra (even when I'd prefer her not to). 


Another thing I enjoy about the science notebooking is the element of dictation. We don't have a large blackboard in our schoolroom and so I'm typically just giving them short snippets of what I want them to write down or we are discussing and then working together on how to word it efficiently. I also often am creating my own notebooking pages alongside them so they can reference my page for spelling or a certain diagram if they need to. 


I also often print out things that I'd like them to cut out, diagram with and glue into their books. Kind of like a smashbook I guess. This year I'd like to do more of that as well as adding small watercolour paintings that we can do, then cut out and attach to our pages. 
This page was on "Sources of Light" and I quickly drew a page of light bulbs, then photocopied it so I had 3 copies and then we drew in various sources of artificial and natural light. Essentially it was a brainstorming activity with a creative twist.


My good friend Alison introduced me to this book and she notebooked through it with her girls. It's a great little book and we're going to start our year notebooking through it as well and see what interest it builds for where we further our studies. 



Sometimes for us I find that creating a rhythm with something really helps my kids with their expectations around it. My goal is to start the year creating that rhythm and making the time to create interesting notebooking pages. I'd also like to incorporate more nature journaling that is based on what we discover and utilizes watercolours. 
I'll also be investing in some better quality notebooks that are spiral bound with thicker paper so that we can create a beautiful collection of their notes!
Here's an example I created for the kids of using various media to create their notebooks. 


I'm really excited to create these and hopefully I can get my kids on board! lol. 

Comments

  1. I hated this, but everything has a fun way of doing things. For a business the most important thing is a custom logo, so click below and get a custom one now.
    buy logo design

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job!


    Law essay help UK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts